Published: Fri, November 16, 2018
World News | By Sandy Lane

Homeless man in $400,000 GoFundMe benefit arrested

Homeless man in $400,000 GoFundMe benefit arrested

But prosecutors say Mark D'Amico, Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt Jr. fabricated the story in an effort to raise money for themselves.

But now, it has been revealed that McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt will all face charges including conspiracy and theft by deception, NBC10 reports.

Reached Thursday morning, an attorney for McClure and D'Amico told ABC News, "We have no comment".

More than 14,000 people donated, many inspired by the details like Mr Bobbitt instructing Ms McClure to lock her auto doors before he returned with a can of petrol.

Once their scheme started gaining momentum, they put together all kinds of stories that helped to keep it going, but it all fell apart over the last couple of weeks, as part of an investigation.

The couple denied the allegations and said they had withheld some of the money because they feared Bobbitt, who has battled a drug addiction, would spend it on drugs.

More news: Saudi Arabia cornerstone of stability in region, Trump to Macron

"I pulled over to the side of the road as far as I could, and I was going to get out and walk to the nearest gas station because it was not that far away, and that's when I met Johnny", McClure told "Good Morning America" in November 2017.

According to NBC, they all made up the viral sob story in order to scam money. "Unfortunately, it was. The entire campaign was predicated on a lie", the prosecutor said, adding that less than an hour after posting the GoFundMe page, McClure texted a friend that the story was fake.

The New York Post reported that the prosecutor's office in Burlington County, New Jersey, is expected to make an announcement regarding the case on Thursday.

A couple from Burlington County, and the homeless veteran they launched a fundraising campaign for, will reportedly all face charges.

McClure and D'Amico surrendered to authorities on Wednesday and pending a December court date, Coffina said.

"All donors who contributed to this GoFundMe campaign will receive a full refund".

More news: LeBron James & Other NBA Stars React To Caris LeVert’s Devastating Injury

Prosecutors began investigating after Bobbitt claimed he was not getting the money that had been raised on his behalf. He later filed a lawsuit against McClure and D'Amico.

The couple's attorney, Ernest Badway, has said that Bobbitt got about $200,000, but his lawyer said it was only $75,000.

The couple also bought Bobbitt a camper with some of the funds and parked it on land McClure's family owns in Florence.

D'Amico said that he had been controlling Bobbitt's money and said that he would dole out more funds when Bobbitt got a job and quit using drugs.

Investigators have been poring over the case since September.

More news: Here's How to Help Victims of the California Wildfires

Like this: