Published: Wed, November 07, 2018
World News | By Sandy Lane

Election Day to test Democratic resistance in Trump era

Election Day to test Democratic resistance in Trump era

Tuesday's elections are the first major ones to take place in the U.S. since Russian Federation targeted state election systems during the 2016 presidential race and ran disinformation campaigns with divisive content on Facebook and Twitter.

Robert Wolf, former economic adviser to former President Obama and a Fox News contributor, thinks Democrats will retake the House in the midterm elections, but he does not expect a full-fledged "blue wave".

"After 11 rallies in 8 states and weeks of campaigning for Republican candidates, the President will spend today making phone calls, monitoring Congressional, Senate and Gubernatorial races across the country and meeting with his political team for real-time updates", White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.

The comments came as Trump prepared for a final, three-state rally blitz as he tries to keep Congress in Republican control and stave off losses that could profoundly change his presidency.

Democrats have largely resisted excoriating Trump on his words and actions, although he has denounced the party at his political rallies as an angry, unsafe "mob".

Notice how many Republican-held seats there are in the first two columns denoting races that are likely to go Democratic or leaning that way.

More news: Oil prices fall on signs of rising supply, economy worries

FILE - President Donald Trump acknowledges the crowd at a rally in Chattanooga, Tenn., Nov. 4, 2018.

Perhaps more importantly, they would also win subpoena power to investigate the president's many personal and professional mis-steps. Democrats also could flip several congressional seats in the state. "I believe his cover has led to much of the degradation in our political discourse".

The political realignment, defined by race, gender and education, could re-shape United States politics for a generation.

Just five years ago, the Republican National Committee (RNC) reported that the party's very survival depends upon attracting more minorities and women.

Republicans have played up the robust economy, but also used scare tactics and accused the Democratic Party of wanting to turn America into a socialist disaster rife with criminal illegal immigrants.

A nationwide poll released on Sunday by NBC News and The Wall Street Journal details the depth of the demographic shifts.

More news: Khashoggi's body was dissolved in acid, Turkish adviser says

"Democrats want to control everything and everyone". Democratic Sen. Jon Tester is a slight favorite in a state Trump won by 20 points.

Waiting to vote at a polling station on Tuesday morning in Miami Dade county, video editor Daniel Z., 52, described himself as an independent voter, and said: "This is an accident in democracy - that a reality TV guy is our president".

Former President Barack Obama has been campaigning with Democratic candidate for Georgia Governor Stacey Abrams.

By election day, FiveThirtyEight gave Clinton a 71% chance of winning the election, leaving Trump with a 29% chance of winning. "But it'll be a start". "That's what the American voters are going to deliver their verdict on".

"The vast majority of women voters are angry, frustrated and they are really done with seeing where the Republican Party is taking them, particularly as it related to heath care and civility", said Stephanie Schriock, who leads EMILY's List, a group that help elect Democratic women. Trump made the strategic decision to focus on immigration and the "caravan" of migrants headed through Mexico in the election's closing days, but that could backfire.

As of Monday night, the elections prediction website FiveThirtyEight guessed that Democrats had a almost 80-percent chance of winning the House of Representatives.

More news: NFL Flex: Eagles-Saints and Steelers-Jaguars among Week 11 changes

"If the radical Democrats take power they will take a wrecking ball to our economy and our future", Trump declared in Cleveland, using the heated rhetoric that has defined much of his presidency. This small error, along with the fact that some undecided voters unexpectedly voted for Trump, handed him the electoral college.

Like this: