Published: Tue, October 02, 2018
World News | By Sandy Lane

Teen attacked by shark at Southern California beach

Teen attacked by shark at Southern California beach

The as yet unnamed teenager is said to have been taken to Rady Children's Hospital with wounds to his ear and shoulder.

The attack occurred just before 7am local time, during the opening hour of California's popular spiny lobster season.

The group of friends - some of whom had medical training - tried to keep the boy calm and put pressure on his wounds as blood filled their kayak.

More news: Woot Selling Used Google Pixel & Pixel XL Starting At $189 - September 2018

The waters off about four miles of beach were ordered closed for 48 hours, and a nearby surfing competition was cancelled before it got under way.

A teen boy was attacked by a shark off Beacon's Beach in Encinitas Saturday morning, witnesses told FOX 5. Hammel said he heard screaming and then realized the boy was yelling, "I got bit!"

"Once we got him on the kayak we could really see what happened", Hammel said.

More news: Prince Harry and Meghan to visit Sussex for the first time

Emergency responders arrived, and the boy was flown by helicopter to a trauma centre.

There have been no other reports of shark sightings and officials are unsure of what type of shark attacked the boy, though it was estimated to have been about 11 feet long. "Once we know more about the details of the incident, we may be able to determine the species involved and provide advice for future beach precautions" based on knowledge of shark behavior, Lowe said in a statement.

The beach adivsory is expected to continue until 7 a.m. Monday, "unless there are other shark activities in the area", Lois Yum, city of Encinitas spokesperson, said in a press release.

More news: Second Kavanaugh accusation with ties to Boulder surfaces

On Sept. 15, a man died at a Cape Cod hospital after police say he was attacked by a shark off a Wellfleet, Massachusetts, beach. They plan to monitor the area for sharks via boat, helicopter and drones. "I yelled at everyone to get out of the water: 'There's a shark in the water!'" The 13-year-old male skin diver was pulled from the water by three people nearby who saw he was in trouble.

Like this: